Saturday 22 August 2015

201 DAYS OF THE X-FILES: chipping away at the behemoth...

Resuming after an unabashedly long period of silence...


I, myself for many years have wished to watch from the beginning to the end of the cultural phenomenon that is The X-Files, but to no avail...


So when a new mini-series was announced to continue where it left off a whole 13 years past its ending, with FOX launching a campaign to watch an episode every day until it's première, it couldn't be a better time to start, right?

The show's quality is unquestionably good overall, excelling to great at points, with some episodes becoming genuinely disturbing or unsettling. (Here's looking at you, The Host.) But, here I am in the midst of season 2, no longer being able to deny that episodes can potentially range from being bad to as aforementioned mind-bogglingly great. As for every episode like The Host or very early on in season 1, Squeeze, there's a Firewalker waiting for you, and while it never reaches the levels of unwatchable, they really do struggle to pull me in for their running time.

Quality aside, I complain about the show but I can't bare to pull myself away from it, a definitive first-world problem arises: 201 episodes is a lot to stomach. That is what previously put myself and other friends off of watching The X-Files. However, once you break into it and pass the first season, you're in flying colours and at least myself can't stop watching. An episode a day isn't enough, sometimes I can sit through 4 or 5 in one day. It's an insatiable demand with plenty of supply, only stopped by mortality... primarily sleep deprivation. Watching now is in all likeliness the best way to do it, as when it approaches January next year and it continues, the understanding of all of the show's past nuances and lore can only be rewarding. A time investment that pays off with even more of an investment of said time.

What more is there to say? If you love or even passively like television to some extent, which probably accounts for almost everyone, put the X-Files on your watch list, hell, start it right now. 201 episodes sounds like a lot and believe me it sure is, but believe me again, it sure is worth it.




No comments:

Post a Comment